Caprock is a multi-family office serving as the CIO and CFO for more than 150 ultra-high net worth families. Our team of 35 professionals, across six offices, oversees and advises on more than $6.5 Billion of assets, with a particular focus on private investments. We work closely with the families we serve to bring order, structure, and intentionality to every financial decision through thoughtful long-term planning and wealth management. Caprock’s deep experience and thought leadership in all aspects of portfolio management makes us well-suited to assist the families we serve in achieving their long-term goals and objectives.
Caprock is privately-owned with locations in San Jose, New York, Seattle, Newport Beach, Park City, and Boise.
How You Will Spend Your Time
The Director of Private Investments will help lead and manage the diligence and strategy related to more than $2 billion of private fund investing across private equity, private credit and real estate. Responsibilities will include leading initial and ongoing diligence for private investments (with a focus on private equity, venture capital, private debt, and real assets), development of a pipeline of investments that anticipates both successful investment themes and client needs, leading and cultivating deep and respectful relationships in the industry, overseeing elements of Caprock’s flagship access vehicles for private investments and communicating clearly with internal and external stakeholders in both written and verbal formats. The Director of Private Investments is a member of the investment committee and reports to the CIO.
Investment Manager Due Diligence:
- Lead initial and ongoing fund manager due diligence processes in real estate, private equity, venture capital, and private debt;
- Review and analyze a diverse range of investment related materials including financial statements, industry trends, cap tables, projections, third party reports, and proprietary models to evaluate investment opportunities;
- Review investment legal documents to identify and clearly articulate important terms including fees, expenses, potential conflicts, risks, and liquidity provisions;
- Negotiate investment terms for improved governance and economics with fund and investment managers;
- Author client facing and internal manager recommendations that clearly and succinctly communicate the risks and opportunities an investment offers.
Development of an Investment Pipeline:
- Perform industry reviews to develop investment themes and identify investment opportunities with an eye to future opportunity as well as client needs;
- Actively coordinate with managers on the Caprock platform regarding the fundraising schedule for future strategies and funds;
- Develop and actively manage an investment pipeline for private fund investments across (private equity, venture capital, private debt, and real assets));
- Project future client appetite for private fund investments across multiple asset classes
- Use research tools such as Pitchbook, MorningStar, and FactSet to identify strong investment themes and fund managers.
Investment Manager Relationship Management & Portfolio Monitoring:
- Lead all aspects of investment manager relationships with existing investment management firms on the Caprock platform;
- Coordinate diligence and quarterly review meetings with investment managers and actively communicate manager and fund performance, including critical updates throughout the life of an investment;
- Manage all aspects of the onboarding process with new investment managers to ensure that investments are quickly and efficiently available to Client Advisors;
- Participate in select investment manager meetings (both ad-hoc and annual meetings) to strengthen manager relationships and partnerships;
- Identify potential client prospects at events and conferences through active networking;
- Contribute to research and development of investment themes and capital market assumptions;
- Contribute to the development and preparation of monthly and quarterly investment commentaries and forecasts for both internal and external audiences;
- Participate in client meetings led by Client Advisors when applicable, and be available as a resource to discuss specific investments and industry trends;
- Provide strategic guidance to the team and the Board of Directors;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CIO.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Finance, Accounting, or Business degree preferred;
- MBA or CFA preferred;
- 7 – 10 years of experience leading and conducting private fund diligence and making investments in private funds and companies.
- Preference for applicants with work experience at a single or multi-family office or pension funds, insurance companies, funds of funds or similar where the role included significant private fund diligence, especially private equity, venture capital or private debt,
- Deep experience in private due diligence across private equity, venture capital, real estate, and private debt;
- Seasoned experience in negotiating investment terms and understanding complex fund models and special investment vehicles;
- Demonstrated interest regarding financial markets and traditional and alternate valuation techniques across multiple asset classes;
- Series 65 licensed (or willingness to obtain).
What You Provide:
- Client focused orientation that always keeps the interest of clients first.
- A form of leadership that earns respect up and down the organization through hard work, active engagement, and smart ideas.
- Intellectual curiosity that enhances your ability to learn, grow and contribute to those around you.
- Organized thinking, attention to detail, and a commitment to timely and thorough completion of projects.
- Ability to adapt and thrive when priorities are adjusted in response to changing opportunities.
- Ability to work in a team environment and take great satisfaction in the team’s success.
- Problem-solving skills that Identify process improvements that help the Team be more efficient.
What We Provide:
Caprock is committed to investing in its people and the communities we serve.
- Competitive base salary and bonus structure;
- Contribute the maximum allowed to employee 401(k) plans;
- Employer paid premium for health/dental/vision benefits for employees and their dependents;
- Paid parking and phone reimbursement;
- Nine paid holidays;
- Flexible Paid Time Off.
Caprock is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.